Top 10 reasons NOT to make a strategic plan.
If you don’t have a written strategic plan that you are working and revising constantly, there’s usually a reason. But none of them are good.
Here’s a Top 10 list of common excuses….
10. It takes too long to put one together. I could be working instead.
As they say, “If you aim at nothing, you will surely hit it.”
9. My company is too small to need a strategic plan. That’s for the big guys.
How do you think they got to be “big guys?”
8. I do much better just flying by the seat of my pants.
It’s amazing you still have pants to fly by the seat of. And those landings….
7. As soon as I get the plan done, things will have changed. What’s the use?
Planes fly to different destinations every day — but they still need to get off the ground.
6. I’m a creative entrepreneur. I’d be boxed in with a strategic plan.
Creativity unharnessed is flash and noise. And about as profitable.
5. Nobody else I know has one, and they’re still in business.
They haven’t taken over your market yet, either, have they?
4. It’s too difficult to do it now with the pandemic. Last year it would have been a snap.
Good strategic planners from last year weren’t caught flat-footed by Covid. There will always be something coming at you.
3. If it’s longer than one page, nobody’s going to follow it anyway.
Think big, plan big. It’s not a writing assignment from 4th grade… it’s your future.
2. I just don’t understand why it’s important..
Those people who keep their heads while everyone around them is losing their minds? They have a plan.
1. I’ll admit it. I’m lazy. I just don’t want to do it.
We’ll see you at the going-out-of-business sale.
No more excuses. Get busy making your plan and directing your future. See our article on how to put a plan together here.